Frequently Asked Questions

We have ensured our campus is following Government guidelines and we comply with the requirements of staying COVID-19 secure, a copy of our signed compliance document can be sent on request. Regarding learning we have been teaching cadets online until social distancing eases.

We are currently taking applications for spring and September 2021, we advise candidates to apply at least six months in advance.

You must be over 17 to apply for a cadetship, there is no upper age limit.

Yes, there is nothing to prevent you from accessing support from Student Finance England.

Further support may be available, for example if you are claiming benefits, have a disability or are a single parent, then you may be able to access a grant. Any further support grant however must be declared to your sponsoring company and may affect your sponsorship allowance.

Cadets will receive a training allowance throughout their training, this is determined by the sponsoring company.

No, you will not need to worry about finding a sponsor, your chosen training management company will take care of this for you. You can also apply direct to a number of shipping companies who look after their own cadets. Sponsoring companies may be found on careersatsea.com

We strongly advise any person looking to apply for a cadetship to research the job thoroughly before attending for a recruitment interview. You will need to be able to show that you have the desire and passion to go to sea. A lack of understanding of what the role entails is the biggest cause of failure at the interview stage. Humber Maritime College can provide further guidance as required.

To apply for this course, you must be a UK resident, or hold a UK settlement visa.

The minimum standard of academic attainment required in order to gain your first Certificate of Competency (CoC) is the HNC. This demonstrates to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency that you have attained a sufficient academic standard.

Attainment of the HND or FD exempts you from some future studies for your next Certificate of Competency – Second Engineer or Chief Officer level. There are some small differences between the HND and FD mainly in respect of the requirement for self-study and a dissertation/project for the FD.

This will depend on the cadetship you choose. Our typical class size is around 15 cadets. By keeping class sizes small we can ensure every cadet is given sufficient support on their programme, and cadets benefit from high tutor contact time.

We are part of the TEC Partnership which includes the Grimsby Institute Campus where you will have full access to the gym and sports facilities. Our Halls of Residence accommodation is located opposite the Grimsby Institute Campus.

As part of the application process you must pass the ENG1 Merchant Navy medical exam: https://www.gov.uk/seafarer-medical-certificates, if you require further information on the medical you can contact your nearest approved doctor.

The medical requirements are not as strict as the Royal Navy for example but do require a good standard of health. Colour blindness is a common cause of failure of the ENG1 medical.

You will be able to obtain exemption from some academic studies which will be managed by Humber Maritime College and we would recommend the HND pathway. Certain subjects associated with marine engineering will not however be exempt. You will also be required to demonstrate proficiency in practical engineering skills, welding etc. and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency requires all students to obtain the minimum amount of sea-time.

No, the programmes are all quite similar as they have to be approved by the Merchant Navy Training Board.

You do not need to have any sea experience to apply, for entry requirements please go to the page below. If you have any questions regarding your qualifications, email [email protected] and our team can check these for you.


Yes. If you have other qualifications and experience, please contact us.

Shipping companies vary a great deal in how they manage their personnel rotas. Post training some companies operate a week on week off schedule, others 28 days on 28 days off and deep sea companies may require you to spend three or four months away at sea followed by a leave period of a similar amount. When training a similar rota system may be employed but all sponsoring companies are mindful that cadets need to achieve a minimum amount of sea-time which may require you to spend longer onboard and with shorter leave periods.

Once you are qualified it will take on average ten years to complete the additional training and to gain the necessary experience to become Captain or Chief Engineer.

This includes periods on leave and on training for your Certificates of Competency.

Engineering Cadetship

During your Engineering Cadetship you will study the safety, performance and maintenance of the engine room and ship’s technical systems.

Navigation Cadetship

During your Navigation Cadetship you will study the safe navigation and operation of the vessel, both at sea and in port.